EAS build fails - Error: Malformed comment

Hello,
when I try to build my app with this command eas build -p android --profile development it always fails with this error message at the same step:

Using Keystore from configuration: Build Credentials 6P58l6i_b_ (default)
    Error: Malformed comment
    Line: 42
    Column: 72
    Char: /

No matter what profile I use. My eas.json looks like this:

{
  "cli": {
    "version": ">= 0.55.1"
  },
  "build": {
    "development": {
      "developmentClient": true,
      "distribution": "internal"
    },
    "preview": {
      "distribution": "internal"
    },
    "production": {}
  }
}

I already tried to generate a new keystore because I thought that’s where the error come from but it still fails. I also tried to configure my build with the command eas build:configure but the same error occurs here. I really don’t know why it doesn’t work anymore as it worked 2 days ago with no problem.

I’m using a bare workflow and my eas-cli version is 0.57.0. I tried version 0.56.0 and 0.55.1, both work neither.

I hope you can help me!

hi there! did you upload this keystore on your own or was it generated by eas build? what project is it associated with?

The keystore was generated by EAS.

what project is it associated with?

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you mean by that

Hi

I think the error message is unrelated to the keystore. The error seems to come from sax.js.

e.g.:

So it seems that there is some XML somewhere that has a comment that sax-js doesn’t like.
Maybe you’ve added or changed a config plugin recently that is somehow causing this bad comment?

2 Likes

i just meant which expo project: https://expo.dev/accounts/[account]/projects/[project]

Thanks, I’ll try to find the error.

Oh okay, that would be https://expo.dev/accounts/drbuzzz/projects/RunsicK

Hello again,
I found the problem. Wodin gave me the right tip. Since I had some bugs with a package, I commented out a few lines in my AndroidManifest.xml. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that this also commented out the </manifest> closing parenthesis.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.