EAS Build app.json Google Maps Credentials Bug

When i add my Google Maps API Keys to app.json or app.config.js file.

"ios": {
      "config": {
        "googleMapsApiKey" : "KEY_HERE"
      }
    },
    "android": {
      "config": {
        "googleMaps": {
          "apiKey": "KEY_HERE"
        }
      }
    },

And when i build my app or run “eas config” on my cli, “android.config” and “ios.config” properties removed. It is same on “Read app config” section in eas build logs.

There is no problem on Expo Go, problem appears when i build standalone app.

Now i can not share my apps on stores because of this bug.
I have no choice but to add it to my app.json (or app.config.js) as there is no custom field in the mapview component to change this key. How do I fix this?

EAS CLI 0.50.0 environment info:
    System:
    Binaries:
      Node: 16.13.1 - C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.EXE
      npm: 8.1.2 - C:\Program Files\nodejs\npm.CMD
    Utilities:
      Git: 2.34.1.
    npmPackages:
      expo: ~44.0.0 => 44.0.6 
      expo-dev-client: ~0.8.4 => 0.8.4 
      expo-updates: ~0.11.6 => 0.11.6 
      react: 17.0.1 => 17.0.1 
      react-dom: 17.0.1 => 17.0.1 
      react-native: 0.64.3 => 0.64.3 
      react-navigation: ^4.4.4 => 4.4.4
    Project workflow: managed

eas config, as well as the EAS build phase, will hide any configuration keys that contain private keys, to make sure they are not accidentally exposed after the configuration is hydrated with environment variables, or EAS secrets. So this behavior is correct. For more information, see here.

You didn’t mention what error you are running into with the standalone app. If you provide additional information about the error, then we can look into that further.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
The problem was that I was trying to access the google key as constans.manifest.android.config.googleMaps.apiKey from within the application. So it’s totally my fault. The rule that these constants cannot be accessed from within the application can save many developers’ time if written in a careful way in the documentation. Thank you very much for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.