eas and expo go

should i be able to open my qa EAS channel in expo go like I used to open my expo build based channels? It seems every time I try to open a channel in expo go it is picking up my code previous to moving to EAS builds.

i did try looking for this but there’s not an obvious answer. there’s hints that expo go opens “classic” channels in these forums and in the expo go app, but is that what’s happening here? or is there a way to open an EAS build in expo go?

expo build runs publish internally every time you build your, but in eas it’s no longer necessary. If you are building on eas you are most likely still using classic updates so to see that code in expo go you would still need to run expo publish

thanks, i think i understand.
this means that I must also run expo publish if i want to use expo go, right?
I can not use expo go with only EAS, it requires the old build system, yes?

That depends what you mean by using expo go

• primary way of using expo go is running expo start to build your local code for development
  • if you want to show someone app via expo go you need to run publish, but remember that if you publish to release channel that the production app is using you will send updates to them
  • if you are adding any dependencies that have native component that are not part of the managed workflow the eas build might still work but expo go will not have that native code (if that is the case you need to build custom dev client)

I can not use expo go with only EAS, it requires the old build system, yes?

Expo go and EAS build are totally separate they have nothing to do with each other, you don’t need to build on eas to run app on expo go and you don’t need use expo go if you build on eas. Only thing that might be unclear to you is where those 2 tools take js from:

• Expo GO is using either local dev server started by expo start or published production bundles created by expo publish
  • EAS is building js from your working dir, but later app (in runtime) can download updates published with expo publish

In addition to expo start I also share links like Expo with other team members for them to check progress and try changes before we deploy. It seems this is no longer possible with EAS?
And I know this is off topic, but I am hoping this informs my understanding of how EAS and expo go fit together: I tried to run an EAS build followed by a expo publish to update it and was told by expo publish that runtimeVersion is not compatible with EAS builds. How would I publish runtime OTA updates to an EAS build if I use a runtimeVersion? Or if I use runtimeVersion must I submit the binary to the app store? I guess the short question here is how would I OTA update an EAS build with a runtimeVersion? (My hope is this off topic question loops us back into the expo go flow of sharing that link with peeps because there must be a EAS build compatible publish which is maybe viewable in expo go)

The short answer is to make development build of your app to use instead of Expo Go. The docs on this topic start here: Introduction - Expo Documentation.

This is a more complete answer below. You might be familiar with some of the concepts already and this is a fuller answer to explain what’s going on:

Modern builds & Classic builds

EAS Build is a cloud service that creates builds like the ones you’d get when running expo run:android and expo run:ios (or expo prebuild:{android,ios} + running Gradle/Xcode) on your own computer. These builds include only the native code for the modules specified in your package.json’s dependencies. Let’s refer to these builds as modern builds.

Expo Go, on the other hand, includes a preset group of modules. For instance, Expo Go includes the native code for expo-camera whether or not you use expo-camera in your project. And due to how we originally designed it, the expo build:{android,ios} service creates standalone app builds that include the same modules that Expo Go includes, whether or not you use them in your project. Let’s refer to these builds as classic builds.

Different runtimes and runtime versions

Expo Go and all classic builds include the same native modules (technically, it is possible to create slightly customized classic builds but let’s ignore those). In contrast, each modern build may include its own unique set of native modules, and modern builds usually don’t include the exact same set of native modules as Expo Go or classic builds.

This means JavaScript that runs on Expo Go and classic builds isn’t guaranteed to run on a given modern build, and vice versa. If your JavaScript imports expo-camera and your modern build doesn’t include the native code to access the camera, your JavaScript will fail. And vice versa, if your modern build includes custom native code that’s not inside Expo Go and classic builds, JavaScript that tries to access that custom native code will fail if run on Expo Go.

So, we need a way to say whether a given build is compatible with some given JavaScript code: this is the purpose of runtime versions. A runtime version is a version string that describes the native APIs and other native features of your build. They can be as plain as “1”, “2”, “3”, and so on – you choose how to name and keep track of your versions. What ultimately matters is that the runtime version your JavaScript targets is the same as the runtime version of your build.

Modern builds and Expo Go

Since modern builds and Expo Go include different native modules, they are different runtimes. JavaScript written for one is not guaranteed to run in the other.

When we make modern builds (e.g. with EAS Build, like in this case) and have custom runtimes with custom runtime versions, we need a replacement for Expo Go, which is no longer guaranteed to be compatible with our JavaScript. This replacement is a development build of your app that you create by adding the expo-dev-client module. This is our Getting Started guide: Getting Started - Expo Documentation.

You can share your development builds with teammates using Android’s side-loading and iOS’s ad-hoc provisioning profiles (Apple’s default recommended way for sharing development builds amongst a team) or an enterprise provisioning profile if you have that type of account.

2 Likes