If you have a problem like this:
I clicked on the “new tab project” button and it shows me “Downloading project files…” popup. It’s been a while now, can you please advise here?
Here are some things to try:
(1) Make sure you are upgraded to the latest version of XDE.
You can see what the latest release is here:
(2) You might have a flaky internet connection and XDE is having trouble downloading the files to get a new project started
Try quitting XDE and reopening it.
(3) You might have a corrupted XDE cache of the project files somehow
Try the XDE cache from the (?) Help menu.
(4) You might need to configure your proxy settings using environment variables.
(5) If all that fails, you can manually download the project files
Here is a Gist that explains how to do that.
Hope this helps!