Does it increase the final bundle size if you use icons from different packs?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 38.0.9
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android/iOS

Hi everyone,

I want to use icons from different packs (Fontastic, Fontawsome, Ionicon, etc) in my application. I know this isn’t the best practise from a design sense because it gives an inconsistent look and feel but for now I don’t care about that. I just want to know if doing this is increasing the final output size of my application.

For example lets say I was using Fontawesome for all my icons but I want to use a single icon from the Ionicon’s pack. If I do this will the entire Ionicon’s library now be added to my final output bundle just to make this 1 icon work, or are all the bundles part of the same package which would be added regardless and I can just use as many icons form different packs as I want without adding any additional size?

If it isn’t already clear, by size I’m referring to the # of megabytes my app will be at the end for the user to download.

In case it matters I’m on an unmanaged expo flow.

Thank you in advance!

Hey @tkpop777,

All packs included in the expo/vector-icons package are bundled regardless of which ones you use so selecting some from different packs won’t affect the bundle size.

Cheers,
Adam

Good to know, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.