Does Expo support concurrentRoot?

SDK Version: 48
react-native: 0.71.6
Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android
newArchEnabled true
hermesEnabled true

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with using Expo packages in my RN/Android project. While researching, I came across some mentions that Expo doesn’t support new architecture. However, I noticed that most of the packages support Fabric, so I decided to use them in my project. The build and functionality of my app worked well, except for one feature of React Native - ‘Concurrent React’.

To enable Expo modules support, I followed this guide (link 1), which involved wrapping DefaultReactActivityDelegate in ReactActivityDelegateWrapper from ExpoSDK. The second parameter, BuildConfig.IS_NEW_ARCHITECTURE_ENABLED, allows React Native to enable concurrentRoot in the app. However, I noticed that ReactActivityDelegateWrapper from the SDK doesn’t pass this flag to the super class (link 2), causing unexpected side effects.

I wanted to clarify the status of SDK support for new architecture (incl. React 18 feats) and whether it is expected behavior to pass a false flag to ReactActivityDelegate. Any insights or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.