Does Expo Barcode will work on Honeywell CT50?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: “react-native-unimodules”: “^0.14.10”, & “expo-barcode-scanner”: “^10.2.2”,
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

Replace this section with as much relevant information as possible and any relevant code along with your question.

Hi @kailash23

By the way, the SDK version will be something like 46.

As far as i can see, the Honeywell CT50 has a built-in hardware barcode scanner.

Expo’s Barcode scanner uses the device’s camera to get an image of the barcode and then detects and decodes the barcode from the image.

A hardware barcode scanner does the detection and decoding itself, usually with the help of a laser. I am not sure how the Honeywell CT50’s scanner works, but e.g. other hardware scanners that plug into a PC look to the OS like a USB keyboard. So the barcode scanner would “type” the data from the decoded barcode.

So you would have to check the documentation for this device to find out how to interface with it from an app. Maybe there is an example app that will give you an idea of how it works.

But in summary, expo-barcode-scanner will not be able to make use of the hardware barcode scanner in the Honeywell CT50.

1 Like

I’m working with a similiar device like the Honeywell CT50.
With the experience I made the laser Barcodescanner does not care what type of App you use for as long as you have a texinput where the scanned code can go.
If you want to make your application compatible with the camera Barcodescanner and the laser scanner that could lead to Problems. On my device after I Startet the Camera to scann I couldn’t use the Laser Scanner until I reconfigured the scanner or restartet the device.

Hi @appdevits

Thanks for the confirmation. So it seems that in your case (and probably also in the case of the Honeywell CT50) the laser scanner does indeed act as a keyboard and just “types” the scanned data into your text field.

So as long as you have a text field and it is focused, the scanner should be able to put data into the field.

1 Like

@wodin
from my experience I had with zebra and chainway devices thats exactly how they work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.