Do I need to edit the Android Manifest to used gifted-chat with Expo?

From Slack:

Hi, I am planning to use this in my expo project GitHub - FaridSafi/react-native-gifted-chat: 💬 The most complete chat UI for React Native
Though it doesn’t require doing npm link… But, it requires adding this in AndroidManifest.xml

<!-- ... -->
<activity
  android:name=".MainActivity"
  android:label="@string/app_name"
  android:windowSoftInputMode="adjustResize"
  android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenSize">
<!-- ... -->

Can anyone help me on how can i do this without detaching my expo app?

This should actually work without any modifications to the Android Manifest since those settings are set by default in Expo. You should be able to use react-native-gifted-chat right out of the box.

2 Likes

+1
I have same problem here, please reply

This should actually work without any modifications to the Android Manifest since those settings are set by default in Expo. You should be able to use react-native-gifted-chat right out of the box.

If it isn’t working for you, can you give more information on the problem?

Not working for me either, both on test emulation and on a published APK in the Google Play store.

When the chat text input is selected, the keyboard pops up but the chat window itself does not resize.

It seems that something in Gifted Chat needs to pull these values from the Android Manifest and there is a difference somewhere with Expo’s config?

2nd image. new user so was limited by the silly forum: Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-07-03 15.55.46.png - Simplify your life

Update! It appears most people will put gifted chat inside a modal (for swiping, etc).

Thus, this setting needs to apply to Modals as well:

Where I can find this res/values/styles.xml?
I have been fighting this problem of input not rising for 3 days…

1 Like

Hello !

I have the same issue on Expo SDK 20…

@ccheever is there a modification on android:windowSoftInputMode?

Thanks for your job!
À bientôt,

Please see this fix and vote for it:
https://github.com/FaridSafi/react-native-gifted-chat/pull/587