Disabling shake gesture on Expo Go

Hi,
I’m working on an app which uses the accelerometer, and so I’d like the developer menu to not open when I test my app. However, I can’t find any settings menu or similar in the Expo Client (Android). How do I turn off shaking to open dev menu?
Thanks!

On the home screen of the Expo Go app, go to your profile, click on “Options” and find “Shake device”

1 Like

Hi,
I am on Android and I do not have this option. There is only Home and Settings in the Expo Go app, but under Settings the only thing I can do is change the Theme. Was that option removed?

the three finger gesture option isn’t available on android

Hi,
Thanks for your quick response! So that means I cannot disable the shake? I am using the accelerometer to detect movement and show a warning if the movement is abnormal. The developer tools opening up on shake cover this warning and therefore the app is basically not usable. Even when I enable production mode the debug window opens. Any way to get rid of it?
Kind regards,
Alexander

at the moment it’s not possible to disable in development clients (expo go, expo-dev-client), but you can run your app in release mode by building an apk with eas build -p android --profile preview and try it out there, or locally with expo run:android --variant release (or do a production build for internal distribution if you have android studio / sdk installed (you’ll likely want to clean up generated files afterwards).

1 Like

Disabling the shake gesture is not possible in Expo Go on Android right now, but if you transition to a development build, you’ll have other options and be able to develop something against the accelerometer without triggering the menu :slight_smile: