Custom Fonts Not Working in TestFlight Builds

Our custom fonts and font icons work just fine using Expo in both development and production modes. After I build the app and upload it to App Store connect and download via TestFlight the custom fonts aren’t working and all text falls back to default fonts. All font icons are replaced with a square question mark indicating the font is missing.

Our fonts are loaded in App.tsx using Font.loadAsync. The fonts are located in assets/fonts. Any help would be appreciated!

Expo CLI 3.20.3 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.7.1 - /usr/local/bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 10.16.3 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v10.16.3/bin/node
Yarn: 1.22.4 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v10.16.3/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
IDEs:
Xcode: 11.4.1/11E503a - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ^37.0.0 => 37.0.9
react: 16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-dom: 16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-37.0.0.tar.gz => 0.61.4
react-native-web: ^0.11.7 => 0.11.7
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.20.3

is your project ejected / do you have an ios and android directory?

Turns out, we had ejected and reverted but the android and iOS folders were still there. Deleting them and re-building solved the issue! Thanks!

1 Like

great. if you upgrade to the latest expo-cli (as of friday) i added a warning for this which will hopefully help. do you think if you had come across this message you would have been able to resolve the issue on your own?

1 Like

I think it would have led me in a better direction as before I had zero idea.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.