Constants.expoVersion not giving Expo Version on Android

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 40.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

For some reason, on some Android’s Constants.expoVersion does not give the Expo version, instead it gives something else that looks like Constants.nativeAppVersion. It’s not all Android’s. Has anyone faced this?

Hey @themasjidapp, can you share what device(s) this occurs on? Also, can you see if you can replicate it with a newly created project?

Cheers,
Adam

Hey thanks for the reply. I’m not able to replicate as I don’t have any of the device models it happens on. I’ll find a couple and DM please.

Hi Adam,

I found over 600 devices that this happens on. I can share a few of them, I can’t figure out how to DM you.

expoVersion and nativeAppVersion in Expo Go are the same: https://github.com/expo/expo/blob/master/android/expoview/src/main/java/versioned/host/exp/exponent/modules/universal/ConstantsBinding.java#L57-L59

Thanks Charlie, but this is my app store deployed production builds that are getting this.

Hm, and what are you hoping to get from Constants.expoVersion in your standalone app? As we state in the docs, this gives you “The version string of the Expo Go app currently running.”

Correct that’s the version I want. I was hoping to match all other devices, which give me the expo version. I use this when troubleshooting bugs from production.

It’s useful to see native build number, and then the version (different many times due to OTA updates) and then Expo version.

None of the iOS devices have this problem, they always give correct expo version. And a majority of Android devices also give same.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.