Can't use dev mode after updating v27

I’m developing with detached project.
After i updating, I can’t use dev mode. My app doesn’t connect to XDE, it uses only published bundle & datas.
(publishing is working anyway)

Can anyone help me?

Could you please share more information about the platform, OS, computer, how you upgraded, from what version did you upgrade?


platform : iOS (i’ve not tested on android)
OS : macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
Expo XDE : 2.24.4 (
exp --version : 53.1.0

I detached my project at expo v26 and I upgraded to v27 yesterday.
then followed



  1. When start my app, it’s working without OTA. It looks totally detached with whole packed bundle.
  2. Problem is, It doesn’t connect to XDE or exp anymore. I wanna hot load (or minimized reload) for development. After upgrade, I have to publish everytime when modified my source code. (the hot loader was working on detached v26 project)
  3. and flag __ DEV __ is not working. Even I run my app with debug configuration.

(all case are tested on ios simulator)

  • more
  1. I tried changed field “updates.enabled”, “updates.checkAutomatically” in app.json. (It’s not working)

I wanna use OTA in dev mode and off OTA in publish mode. Is it possible?
Please help me. Save my life…

Hi there!

If Xcode is building a Debug scheme, it will fetch the development url configured inside EXBuildConstants.plist. This url is configured automatically by exp every time you build from Xcode.

If Xcode is building a Release scheme, it will fetch the published/production url configured inside EXShell.plist.

1 Like


I’m using Debug scheme. (Double checked)

The “developmentUrl” is weird in my EXBuildConstants.plist?
Let me share my files.


==== EXBuildConstants.plist ====

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "">
<plist version="1.0">

==== Info.plist ====

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "">
<plist version="1.0">
	<string>Allow Coinplay to access your calendar</string>
	<string>Allow Coinplay to use your camera</string>
	<string>Allow Coinplay to access your contacts</string>
	<string>Allow Coinplay to use your location</string>
	<string>Allow Coinplay to access your microphone</string>
	<string>Allow Coinplay to access your device's accelerometer</string>
	<string>Give Coinplay permission to save photos</string>
	<string>Give Coinplay permission to access your photos</string>
	<string>Allow Coinplay to access your reminders</string>

expda9b4923076a464f986c78cba8dfd005:// is a normal development url for ExpoKit. This should be the url that your app tries to open if you build a Debug scheme. This should also be the same url you see being served from XDE or exp.

1 Like


I found a solution.
The weird thing is… the development url isn’t updated even I clicked “Restart” button in Exp XDE. It’s working after I changed it manually.


This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.