Can't Build and Run on Physical iOS Device

I am trying to run a local build and test it on a physical iPhone (not a simulator). I run expo run:ios -d, the build completes and I get a prompt saying, “Select a simulator”, but there is nothing in the list to select. I registered my device using eas device:create as explained on https://docs.expo.dev/development/getting-started/, and my device is connected to my dev computer via USB. Not sure how to get it to recognize that it’s there and offer it as a choice.

This project is going to use Config Plugins, so I won’t be able to use Expo Go, due to the extra native code.
Anyone have any advice? TIA!

It is possible by doing eas build --profile development --platform ios but for every new library that changes native code you will need to build again.

It is not very convenient as we test with different branches and takes time to build on EAS.

Thanks, @sam-lam-lablambworks.

I eventually figured out that I was unable to build locally because my version of XCode (11.3.1) was no longer supported for building RN/Expo projects. I am unable to upgrade XCode without first upgrading my OS, which I plan to do at some point, but not while I am trying to get this project out the door.

I have, as you suggested, been using eas build, which works well. It does take some time. If you pay for the premium membership, they put your build requests closer to the front of the queue, which can cut down the time significantly. That’s something to consider for projects that require a lot of builds and/or are close to being released.