Can organizations be renamed? Docs unclear

Apologies for posting this again, I previously did it in another category and it didn’t receive any replies for over a week and this one appears to be more active.

This might be some confusion on my part on Account vs. Organization, what confuses me is the following:

The docs state

You’ll need to choose a name for your Organization. Once you have created the organization, you will not be able to rename it. To associate projects with an Organization, you will need to add the Owner key to your project’s app.json

See: Account Types - Expo Documentation

However, if I 1) log into expo.dev, 2) select my organization whose name I want to change from the dropdown list in the top left corner (let’s call it badOrgName), 3) go to Overview, 4) it now says “Account overview”, with “Account information” just below it, displaying “Name: badOrgName” (along with Plan and Members info).

• This seems to be the Organization name. Why is it shown as the Account name? Are the two the same?
  • Below “Account information” there’s a field to “Rename account”. Will this rename the Organization name? The docs said that wasn’t possible but it feels like it’s possible here.

I haven’t gone through the process of renaming the Account as I’m not sure if it’s renaming the Org or not and I don’t want any unintended consequences but the docs seem to suggest it’s both possible and very simple: Account Types - Expo Documentation

Can someone clarify this?

In the end, my problem is that I’m working on an app belonging to an Organization whose name we’d like to change.

My understanding is that these are all just accounts. Some accounts are organisation accounts and some are normal user accounts. This is implied by the title of the “Account Types” page in the docs.

I know that in the past it was impossible to rename accounts, so it could be that the documentation on organisation renaming is out of date.

I am pretty sure you will be able to rename it, but maybe wait a bit to see if one of the Expo team members responds here first. If you don’t hear back, try the feedback link (under the question mark on the bottom right of the expo.dev/settings page). Or try expo.dev/contact.

2 Likes

@wodin is right, you can indeed rename your organization (account). This used to be not possible in the past, so apparently, the docs have not been updated to reflect this. I’ll make an internal note to have that fixed. Apologies for the confusion.

2 Likes