[Camera] `takePictureAsync` returns zoomed in photo

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: v36.0.0
  2. Platforms(iOS): iPhone X

I am attempting to take a photo with Camera.takePictureAsync. My camera is the using the entire screen. Upon successfully calling takePictureAsync with the Camera, I render the output with an Image from react-native. The image is zoomed in a lot. Is there anyway to make the preview image reflect the actual camera view? Or even a portion of the camera view?

Hey @davitykale,

Thanks for bringing this up. This is a known issue. As for a timeline, unfortunately we don’t have a clear picture of when we’ll be able to get around to addressing the issue. The Camera module is in need of some re-working but our bandwidth has recently been allocated towards other things.

If this is a blocker, one option is to use the Bare Workflow and either build your own camera module or pull in something like react-native-camera. There are tradeoffs however that you can read about in more detail here: https://docs.expo.io/versions/v36.0.0/introduction/why-not-expo/#limitations-of-the-bare-workflow

Cheers,
Adam

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.