Building failing for both Android and iOS with Managed Workflow

Hey,

since Friday, my application which hasn’t a lot of changes started to fail while building for both platforms and I can’t understand why. At first moment, I thought the problem was with Sentry or even with my old Expo SDK 44, then I removed the Sentry and also updated Expo to the last SDK (46). But the build is still failing. For Android I have the following output:

[stderr] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
[stderr] * What went wrong:
[stderr] Execution failed for task ':app:bundleReleaseJsAndAssets'.
[stderr] > Process 'command 'node'' finished with non-zero exit value 1
[stderr] * Try:
[stderr] > Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
[stderr] > Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
[stderr] > Run with --scan to get full insights.
[stderr] * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

as I’m running Managed Workflow, I’m not sure I can run any of those commands to try to debug and find what is wrong with the build. I have also looked inside Expo Github Issues, forums, etc. to find similar issues, but all of them are mostly with Bare Workflows, where there’s the ability to run commands like the ones described above.

And for iOS I have the following log:

Linking   APPNAME » APPNAME
⚠️  ld: duplicate method '+moduleName' in
┌─[category]: ExpoBridgeModule-50a46173201b1121a2100c49cf582c20.o ExpoModulesCore/libExpoModulesCore.a
└─[class]: ExpoBridgeModule-2de9594b30931e4893254d49dade0484.o ExpoModulesCore/libExpoModulesCore.a
⚠️  ld: method '+UIStatusBarAnimation:' in category from /Users/expo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-gmkdeoikqirzrbewiqaabcqzcvkh/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/APPNAME/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/React-CoreModules/libReact-CoreModules.a(RCTStatusBarManager.o) conflicts with same method from another category
› Copying   ios/APPNAME/Supporting/Expo.plist ➜ ./Expo.plist
› Compiling APPNAME » SplashScreen.storyboard
› Preparing APPNAME » Info.plist
› Generating debug APPNAME » APPNAME.app.dSYM
› Executing APPNAME » Bundle React Native code and images
    the transform cache was reset.

❌  error: File /Users/expo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-gmkdeoikqirzrbewiqaabcqzcvkh/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/APPNAME/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/APPNAME.app/main.jsbundle does not exist. This must be a bug with

▸ ** ARCHIVE FAILED **
▸ The following build commands failed:
▸ 	PhaseScriptExecution Bundle\ React\ Native\ code\ and\ images /Users/expo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-gmkdeoikqirzrbewiqaabcqzcvkh/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/APPNAME/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/APPNAME.build/Release-iphoneos/APPNAME.build/Script-00DD1BFF1BD5951E006B06BC.sh (in target 'APPNAME' from project 'APPNAME')
▸ (1 failure)
2022-10-31 06:54:12.802 xcodebuild[4244:12699] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore
2022-10-31 06:54:12.803 xcodebuild[4244:12699] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore
2022-10-31 06:54:12.896 xcodebuild[4244:12699] XType: failed to connect - Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named com.apple.fonts was invalidated: failed at lookup with error 3 - No such process." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.fonts was invalidated: failed at lookup with error 3 - No such process.}
2022-10-31 06:54:12.896 xcodebuild[4244:12699] Font server protocol version mismatch (expected:5 got:0), falling back to local fonts
2022-10-31 06:54:12.897 xcodebuild[4244:12699] XType: unable to make a connection to the font daemon!
2022-10-31 06:54:12.897 xcodebuild[4244:12699] XType: XTFontStaticRegistry is enabled as fontd is not available.
** ARCHIVE FAILED **
The following build commands failed:
	PhaseScriptExecution Bundle\ React\ Native\ code\ and\ images /Users/expo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-gmkdeoikqirzrbewiqaabcqzcvkh/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/APPNAME/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/APPNAME.build/Release-iphoneos/APPNAME.build/Script-00DD1BFF1BD5951E006B06BC.sh (in target 'APPNAME' from project 'APPNAME')
(1 failure)
Exit status: 65

Same thing on iOS, I have found similar issues, but almost all of them give some hint using Bare Workflows.

Any idea how I could fix this? The only thing I did to my code was to install 2 new libraries (which were installed using expo install, those libraries are compatible with Expo. And then I have just created new components, etc.

Thanks!

Hey @rschneider94, can you please share the link to your build where you see these failed messages? I’ll be happy to take a look to find out what could be the issue here.

hey @amanhimself , thanks for your response! unfortunately I’m not sure I’m able to share the build link, as the repository is private

What method are you using to build? EAS or locally?

hey @amanhimself , I was using the EAS… now following the tips from the Troubleshooting guide, I’m trying to build it locally, and then having errors as well, they are following:

┌─[category]: ExpoBridgeModule-9a7748dd7b0f8ce9e8d815d9d5a6042a.o ExpoModulesCore/libExpoModulesCore.a
└─[class]: ExpoBridgeModule-6838760aa8ba92ed6dfd06fd105130d4.o ExpoModulesCore/libExpoModulesCore.a

⚠️  ld: method '+UIStatusBarAnimation:' in category from /Users/rodrigoschneider/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-czefditboozofmfqjousecsfdsyj/Build/Products/Release-iphonesimulator/React-CoreModules/libReact-CoreModules.a(RCTStatusBarManager.o) conflicts with same method from another category
› Linking   APPNAME » APPNAME
┌─[category]: ExpoBridgeModule-9a7748dd7b0f8ce9e8d815d9d5a6042a.o ExpoModulesCore/libExpoModulesCore.a
└─[class]: ExpoBridgeModule-6838760aa8ba92ed6dfd06fd105130d4.o ExpoModulesCore/libExpoModulesCore.a

⚠️  ld: method '+UIStatusBarAnimation:' in category from /Users/rodrigoschneider/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-czefditboozofmfqjousecsfdsyj/Build/Products/Release-iphonesimulator/React-CoreModules/libReact-CoreModules.a(RCTStatusBarManager.o) conflicts with same method from another category
› Generating debug APPNAME » APPNAME.app.dSYM
› Executing APPNAME » Bundle React Native code and images
    the transform cache was reset.

❌  error: File /Users/rodrigoschneider/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/APPNAME-czefditboozofmfqjousecsfdsyj/Build/Products/Release-iphonesimulator/APPNAME.app/main.jsbundle does not exist. This must be a bug with

Run script build phase '[CP-User] Generate app.config for prebuilt Constants.manifest' will be run during every build because it does not specify any outputs. To address this warning, either add output dependencies to the script phase, or configure it to run in every build by unchecking "Based on dependency analysis" in the script phase. (in target 'EXConstants' from project 'Pods')
    Run script build phase '[CP-User] Generate app.manifest for expo-updates' will be run during every build because it does not specify any outputs. To address this warning, either add output dependencies to the script phase, or configure it to run in every build by unchecking "Based on dependency analysis" in the script phase. (in target 'EXUpdates' from project 'Pods')

› 1 error(s), and 10 warning(s)

CommandError: Failed to build iOS project. "xcodebuild" exited with error code 65.

Now after trying to build locally following the tips from Troubleshooting Guideline, and trying to build locally using Xcode, I have the following log: https://file.io/oQYYnHIsJshb

Solved by getting out of Expo and recreated a brand new app with just RN. :slight_smile:

Glad you sorted it out, although I suspect it would have worked if you’d created a new Expo app and done the same thing.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.