Build Failing: 'ios-shell-app' errored

Hello,

I seem unable to build my application. I can run it in development just fine (so I assume it’s building locally OK); however when I run exp build:ios it seems to fail.

In the setup I allowed Expo to manage all of the certificate generation etc all of me.

I’ve looked for people with similar issues on this forum but don’t actually seem to see any answers yet so I’m a little lost as what to do next (as the error messages are non descriptive). Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

ID of the build is:
https://expo.io/builds/7bc97d9c-7ca6-4b82-be7c-62e8aeca7ceb

➜  d2p-app git:(master) exp build:ios
[14:37:00] Checking if current build exists...

[14:37:01] No currently active or previous builds for this project.
[14:37:03] Using existing credentials for this build
[14:37:05] Publishing to channel 'default'...
[14:37:11] Building iOS bundle
[14:37:11] Building Android bundle
[14:37:11] Analyzing assets
[14:37:12] Uploading assets
[14:37:18] No assets changed, skipped.
[14:37:18] Uploading JavaScript bundles
[14:37:26] Published
[14:37:26] Your URL is

https://exp.host/@digitaldawn/d2p-ems

[14:37:26] Building...
[14:37:27] Build started, it may take a few minutes to complete.
[14:37:27] You can monitor the build at

|[14:37:27] Waiting for build to complete. You can press Ctrl+C to exit.
/[14:38:28] Standalone build failed!

Error (Running gulp task) states:

[stderr] [21:37:46] 'ios-shell-app' errored after 9.03 s
[stderr] [21:37:46] Error: Process exited with non-zero code: 1
[stderr]     at ChildProcess.child.on (/usr/local/turtle-agent/tools-public/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:39:21)
[stderr]     at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
[stderr]     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
[stderr]     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:925:16)
[stderr]     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)

Is there a way to get more information on what’s actually going wrong here?

Hi, sorry about the trouble. It looks like it failed when trying to compile your app icon into your binary. Under the hood we are using Apple’s actool utility, but it looks like actool didn’t output any error logs, it just failed for some reason.

Is there anything unusual about the file you’re using for your app’s icon? What happens if you replace it with some other file as a test?

Thanks Ben for taking a look; indeed it does look to be related to the app icon as I spun up a new expo application and copied the icon and splash screen from there. After doing that I was able to build without an issue.

The only difference I could see between the icon I had and the test icon was the size of the radius on the corners of the icon so I’m a bit baffled by this.

Nevertheless, it does now appear to be working. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.