AsyncStorage future?

Hi folks, first just want to say that Expo is amazing.

I’m wondering about AsyncStorage going forward. I understand that it’s deprecated and will be removed in a future version of React Native. I’m currently developing an app with Apollo Client that persists the cache using AsyncStorage. Since AsyncStorage is being deprecated, I tried to save the cache data with other options including Expo SecureStore (got an error, apparently AsyncStorage API is expected) and @react-native-community/async-storage (Expo does not support it). Will Expo support some version of AsyncStorage going forward? I’m concerned that if it doesn’t, I will be unable to upgrade my app, as persisting the cached data is crucial. Thanks so much.

Like a lot of other stuff, it’s not going away entirely, it’s just being moved out of the core package and into a separate community package: GitHub - react-native-async-storage/async-storage: An asynchronous, persistent, key-value storage system for React Native.. Like a lot of other things (e.g., WebView), I assume Expo will likewise move over to the new library.

1 Like

Hey @kensmash,

Keith is correct. The AsyncStorage API has been moved to the react-native-community umbrella and we will continue to support it for the foreseeable future by pulling it from said package once RN completely removes it from its core.

Cheers,
Adam

Ah great - that is a relief. Thank you!!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.