App runs fine locally but hangs on splash screen after deploying to TestFlight

Hi all,

Running into an issue after upgrading Expo (to SDK 36) and react-navigation (to 4.0.10).

I’m able to run my project locally using the iPhone simulator and on a device via Expo client, but when I launch the application distributed via TestFlight (using the .ipa generated by Expo), I get stuck on the splash screen.

Upon further investigation from looking at logs in Console with my device plugged in, the following error is thrown when launching the application:

Invariant Violation: requireNativeComponent: "RNCSafeAreaView" was not found in the UIManager.

This error is located at:
    in RNCSafeAreaView
    in Unknown
    in Unknown
    in n
    in Unknown
    in Unknown
    in C
    in p
    in RCTView
    in RCTView
    in l
    in RCTView
    in n
    in RCTView
    in n
    in _
    in C
    in p
    in p
    in C
    in P
    in c
    in f
    in y
    in Unknown
    in RCTView
    in RCTView
    in h

I ran npm ls react-native-safe-area-view to see which packages are dependent on react-native-safe-area-view, and the following output was this:

β”œβ”€β”€ react-native-safe-area-view@1.0.0
β”œβ”€β”¬ react-navigation@4.0.10
β”‚ └─┬ @react-navigation/native@3.6.2
β”‚   └── react-native-safe-area-view@0.14.8
└─┬ react-navigation-tabs@2.7.0
  └── react-native-safe-area-view@0.14.8

so I’m assuming that the problem is related to react-navigation.

My dependencies:

"expo-cli": "3.7.11",
    "@react-native-community/masked-view": "^0.1.6",
    "expo": "^36.0.2",
    "react": "16.9.0",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-36.0.1.tar.gz",
    "react-native-reanimated": "~1.4.0",
    "react-native-safe-area-context": "0.6.0",
    "react-native-safe-area-view": "1.0.0",
    "react-native-screens": "2.0.0-alpha.12",
    "react-navigation": "^4.0.10",
    "react-navigation-drawer": "^2.3.3",
    "react-navigation-stack": "^2.0.15",
    "react-navigation-tabs": "^2.7.0",

What could be causing the delta between what I’m running locally vs. whats bundled into the .ipa?

Thanks,
Jason

Found the problem… I had upgraded react-navigation V3 β†’ V4, Expo SDK 34 β†’ 36, and react-native-safe-area-view 0.14.8 β†’ 1.0.

In our project, we have an app.json we use for development and one we use at build time (our ci machine does find and replace on certain fields e.g. build/version number and sets them accordingly). The problem mentioned above was caused by not updating the expo sdk field from 34 β†’ 36 in the app.json we use at build time. So what happened was I was using sdk36 locally but actually built our artifacts using sdk34. When running Expo sdk <= 34, react-native-safe-area-view should be 0.14.8, but we had set it to 1.0.0 in package.json.

Simple mistake but hope this provides closure.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.