App rejected from App Store due to poor permission check message?

I just published my app to the iOS app store and I got a message back from Apple saying the app was rejected. They said:

“We noticed that your app requests the user’s consent to access the location and camera but does not clarify the use of this feature in the permission modal alert. To resolve this issue, please revise the permission modal alert to specify why the app is requesting access to the location and camera.”

I’m asking for permission the way that is outlined in the docs like:

const { status } = await Permissions.askAsync(Permissions.CAMERA);
        this.setState({ hasCameraPermission: status === 'granted' });

Is there a way to customize the message in the permission alert? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Hi @ewein,

So sorry about this, we tracking the issue here now:

https://github.com/expo/expo/issues/1062

Is there anything I can do in the mean time? This is the only thing holding up my app from publishing to the app store.

you could detach and change the code in expokit itself which controls the message for the alert. (Not the most straightforward task, I realize)

I emailed Apple and mentioned that the app is using Expo and that there currently is no way to customize those messages and they said its fine and allowed it. So its all good.

Updating this old thread: You can now customize these messages in Expo. See documentation.

1 Like