Anybody else get this absolutely indecipherable Sentry error?

We started getting this about a month ago after an OTA update on our Expo 38 version, and it kept happening even after we updated to Expo 42 (sentry-expo 4.0.1, @sentry/react-native 2.6.0). It’s an error with no source map, not Expo tags, no Sentry SDK version, and no OS/ system info.

I’ve made an example of the error public here: Sentry

They all look about the same: between 1 and several hundred events with zero user account. Non-fatal “Type error: u is not a function” with a big long file path in the breadcrumb, like this:

That breadcrumb contains a device-specific GUID, so, of course, EVERY SINGLE ONE of these errors shows up separately in in Sentry, absolutely flooding my list.

I have not heard any user reports of adverse things happening that I could trace back to this error. Non-fatal JS error on what looks like very early-running code has me concerned that maybe the expo-update process is crapping out, leaving the user stuck at the splash screen (had a couple of iOS review rejections in recent months because the reviewer said they got stuck at the splash screen).

Sentry support hasn’t been much help. I’d love to hear if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone has any clue as to what might be happening, or if you know the magic words to get Sentry to not be like “uh, that’s sentry-expo, we don’t touch that.”

Hi @llamaluvr

I’ve not used Sentry in an Expo app before, so not sure this will help at all :confused:
but I think maybe the case of “onfulfilled” and “onrejected” (as opposed to “onFulfilled” and “onRejected”) in the stack trace might help to narrow this down?
EDIT: Maybe grep -rl onrejected node_nodules will find something?

Also, I see some mention of “the event’s JSON” in another issue. Is there JSON for the event that provides more info/context in the stack trace?

Are you able to get hold of the bundle and poke around to see if you can link up the stack trace to it?

Great advice! Just that grep showed that the error is definitely coming from within one of the Sentry packages, and I eventually traced it to within @sentry/react-native. So, it seems like Sentry is failing to register an event, and then later sending it? Seems like a plausible scenario where Sentry would not be sending all the normal information along.

I passed along the additional info to Sentry to see what they’ll say. Thanks!

1 Like