Android AAB file uses CAMERA permissions even though app.json shows empty array

Hello! Although my app.json file looks like this:

"android": {
      "versionCode": 3,
      "permissions": []
    },

But, when I upload the EAS-built AAB file, I get this error:

Your APK or Android App Bundle is using permissions that require a privacy policy: (android.permission.CAMERA). [Learn More](https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/113469#privacy)

Does empty array for permissions in app.json not work for Android?

Versions:

% eas --version
eas-cli/0.13.0 darwin-x64 node-v14.13.1
% expo --version

"expo": "^40.0.1",

you need to upgrade to SDK 41 to use eas build properly :slight_smile: let me know if your issue persists after upgrading

1 Like

@notbrent Thanks, upgraded to 41.0.1, however now I’m getting a Gradle error on the Android build:

> Task :app:processReleaseManifestForPackage
> Task :app:mergeReleaseJavaResource
> Task :app:processReleaseResources
> Task :app:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac FAILED
[stderr] /build/workingdir/build/android/app/src/main/java/dev/kitamura/simpleMathTutorExpo/MainApplication.java:27: error: cannot find symbol
[stderr] import com.swmansion.reanimated.ReanimatedJSIModulePackage;
[stderr]                                ^
[stderr]   symbol:   class ReanimatedJSIModulePackage
[stderr]   location: package com.swmansion.reanimated
[stderr] /build/workingdir/build/android/app/src/main/java/dev/kitamura/simpleMathTutorExpo/MainApplication.java:59: error: cannot find symbol
[stderr]       return new ReanimatedJSIModulePackage();
[stderr]                  ^
[stderr]   symbol: class ReanimatedJSIModulePackage
[stderr] 2 errors
> Task :app:mergeExtDexRelease
w: Detected multiple Kotlin daemon sessions at build/kotlin/sessions
[stderr] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
[stderr] * What went wrong:
[stderr] Execution failed for task ':app:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac'.
[stderr] > Compilation failed; see the compiler error output for details.
[stderr] * Try:
[stderr] Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.
[stderr] * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org
[stderr] BUILD FAILED in 3m 25s
Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradle 7.0.
Use '--warning-mode all' to show the individual deprecation warnings.
See https://docs.gradle.org/6.8/userguide/command_line_interface.html#sec:command_line_warnings
584 actionable tasks: 584 executed
Error: Gradle build failed with unknown error. Please see logs for the "Run gradlew" phase.

Not sure what to do here.

iOS builds just fine with EAS.

Also, let me know if I should start a new topic with this.

sorry you said 40.0.1 but i said 41.0.0

@notbrent sorry, I wrote 40, but I actually did upgrade to 41.0.1 in my package.json and reinstalled

are you sure you are using the correct version of reanimated? if you initialize a new tabs project from template and build on eas build you will see it works as expected. remember that upgrading sdk versions requires more than changing the expo package in package.json: Expo SDK 41. Today we’re announcing the release of… | by Brent Vatne | Exposition

1 Like

Thanks. The explanation via that link helped with the building part. Still having problems with the eas submit. I’ll post another topic.