Again problems with dependencies, but didn't expo SDK's promise to stop it?

expo version : ^34.0.1 => 34.0.4

I’m a bit lost. When I first had problems (very basic) with some dependencies and stuff not working in general, a few people suggested me using Expo, because among other things, it is supposed to remove those problems, by introducing stable and tested (in a given moment of time) SDK’s.

I did not update / upgrade anything. My previous project works fine. I just created a new project, with expo init and started and saw this:

one of your project’s dependencies are not compatible with currently installed expo package version:
expo-font - expected version range: ~6.0.1 - actual version installed: 6.0.0
Your project may not work correctly until you install the correct versions of the packages.
To install the correct…"

And yeah it crashed.

I did solve it, and I think I understand what has changed, but … I just don’t get it. Why am I using expo then? I know it’s cool that we can easily publish and share stuff, but I was directed here, to avoid conflicts, non-bc changes and all this boring things :frowning:

I guess I miss something important here?

I can’t just upgrade expo, I guess, with many projects being in development, right? So… maybe I should rather install it locally, not globally as suggested in the docs? And then upgrade per-project? I know I miss something… because I can’t believe you guys spend hours on solving conflicts … :slight_smile:

I ran into this a day or two ago.

This is not a “sky is falling” situation. It’s a simple oversight. It seems that the expo-font package was upgraded and the code that checks you have the non-buggy version is doing its job but the template was specifying the wrong version.

The point is now moot, since SDK 35 has been released, so expo init will now use a template appropriate for that version.

1 Like

Oh, good! I was afraid I made wrong decisions in my life, when choosing RN and Expo :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Bugs happen, that is really great to hear it’s just one of them.

Thank you very much, @wodin Next time I’ll be calmer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.